Font Smaller Font Bigger Font Normal Font Size

Facilities Management A-Z


Accessibility (ADA)
Facilities Management is responsible for the removal of physical barriers for the disabled, including students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the University.


The Facilities Management bill is a summary of charges to all customer accounts for the preceding 30-day period. (See “Work Orders” for additional information.)

Billable services include, but are not limited to:
  • Custodial services (after hours)
  • Damages
  • Events services (after hours)
  • Key replacement
  • Lock installation and/or replacement
  • Table and/or chair rental
  • Transportation services
  • Vehicle services (mileage)

Building Codes
Are prescribed regulations to be complied with when constructing repairing, maintaining and changing the use of building and structures.

Classroom Improvement Program
The Classroom Improvement Program is a joint effort between the Provost, ITT, and Facilities Management. The Provost determines classroom improvement needs and priorities, based largely on input from the Deans, then works with Facilities Management to design and construct the improvements with ITT providing technology enhancements and support staff. 

Custodial Services
Facilities Management Custodial Department provides custodial services to the common areas of general-funded University academic and residential buildings on a scheduled basis. A program of custodial care is provided to each building based upon need. Classrooms, offices, hallways, entrances, stairs and common areas are cleaned on a scheduled basis, Monday through Friday. Restrooms are cleaned and serviced daily. Windows, carpets, and floors are cleaned periodically. Custodial services are not routinely provided on weekends. Special or extra services may be provided. A request for service should be submitted to Facilities Management service desk. 

Electrical Services
Include electrical outlets, circuit panels, power to installed equipment, conduit emergency circuits, UPS, transformers, and clean power within buildings.

Electrical Maintenance
Electrical maintenance and repairs in academic buildings are provided by Facilities Management.

Elevator Maintenance
Facilities Management administers a service contract for elevators. The contract covers inspections and preventive maintenance, repair, and service. All repairs, upgrades, and scheduled shutdowns involving an interruption of service are planned with the needs of the campus community in mind to minimize inconvenience to staff and students. Both emergency and routine problems with elevators should be directed to Facilities Management, which maintains contact with the elevator service contractor. All elevators are equipped with emergency telephones: when the call button is pressed, a security officer will answer. If a passenger becomes trapped in an elevator, a protocol is in place. A repair person responds within half an hour of the call. If no one responds within that time, Security will contact the Fire Department to free the passenger (Elevator Entrapment Procedure).

An emergency is any situation that suddenly threatens significant injury to life or property. An emergency response may require calling University staff in from home or having contractors come for other parts of the state. Facilities Management’s extensive inspections, preventive maintenance, and systems control programs greatly reduce the number of emergencies. Report all real or potential emergency conditions to Security or Facilities Management at 816-4259. After hours call, 504-816-4134.

Event Needs
Personnel, off-hours air-conditioning services, utilities, and equipment needed for special events may be requested and provided on a chargeable basis. 
Events where food and drink are served and for which custodial services are required as part of the preparation or the cleanup of the event, are not considered to be routine services provided by the University. Departments will be charged for such services, if normal cleaning schedules are affected. A department will also be charged, if setup or breakdown is required for an event. 
Facility Conditions
Facilities Management administers several programs that include periodic inspections of buildings and their components. Information gained through these inspections is used to plan work and compose a statistical picture of the condition of University facilities.

Facility Information
Facilities Management maintains records and provides information concerning the University’s buildings and land holdings, including space utilization. This includes such information as building date, building statistics (i.e., square footage, age, number of floors, etc.), individual room use by University departments, and building codes. 

Facilities Planning & Construction

Provides facility planning, design, contract and construction services.

Facility Usage
Facilities Management is responsible for centrally and consistently coordinating the use of University-controlled facilities, which includes outdoor space and facilities allocated to a specific department for assignment of program and department space, and for the use of University facilities for classes, final examinations, and events in agreement with state, President’s office, and University policy.

Facilities Management authorizes and approves the scheduling and use of appropriate University facilities for events. To ensure the proper and non-redundant scheduling of University-controlled facilities, programs and departments are required to work with Facilities Management to formally request and schedule the desired space and coordinate related services.

Typically, facilities which support a specific department’s instructional program and office space assigned to programs and departments are not available for use by another program. However, if a non-controlling department requests use of facilities allocated to another department, Facilities Management will schedule the use of those facilities only after obtaining the controlling department's approval. 

Failure to include Facilities Management in your planning efforts can create unwanted, uncontrolled, and unnecessary liabilities for the campus. It can also result in scheduling conflicts, inaccuracies of calendared events, and other undesirable difficulties for the group wishing to use the space and the campus. Requests for use of facilities must be completed by submitting a Use of Facilities Request Form. 

Fire Safety Systems and Equipment
Facilities Management provides maintenance for existing fire safety systems and equipment in general-fund supported facilities. Expansion, modification, or improvement of existing fire safety systems is normally the responsibility of the requesting department or the appropriate Vice President.

Fire Systems

Fire Systems and life safety systems are installed to protect occupants. These include fire sprinklers, fire detection, and fire-alarm systems (heat and/or smoke). 

Furniture Maintenance

Maintenance, repair and upholstering services are provided by Facilities Management.

General Services

Facilities Management’s general services labor crew provides moving services, setups for special events, reservations for tables and/or chairs, and other general labor support on a limited basis. These services are requested and scheduled in advance. (Work Order Request Form)

Grounds Improvement Program

Facilities Management administers an account to accomplish projects improving the University’s grounds. Such projects include new sidewalks, plantings, sign change, retaining walls, and other landscape enhancements. 

Grounds Maintenance

Facilities Management’s grounds-keeping department provides a planned program of grounds care, including turf maintenance; care of shrubs, plantings, and trees; and road and walk cleaning and maintenance.

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)

Maintenance and repair in academic and residential buildings are provided by Facilities Management.

Guidelines for heating and cooling are as follows: 
Heating season: The official season is from mid-October to mid-April, although actual temperature projections will determine the beginning and the end of the season. Heat is provided to maintain interior temperatures between 68 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit. 
Cooling season: During the air-conditioning season, mid-April to mid-October, cooling is provided to maintain an interior temperature of 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Due to the age and capacities of some of the building systems on campus, fluctuating temperature levels may be encountered. Facilities operations will do its best to meet your needs. The operation of room and window air conditioners is the responsibility of individual occupants. It is requested that window units be turned off during hours when space is not occupied (nights, weekends, and holidays). 
Important note regarding interim seasons: During the interim period between the end of the heating season and the beginning of the cooling season, there will be days when air-conditioning is not provided to much of the campus from central or building systems. This is due to the fact that the nature of the changeover is such that alternating between heating and cooling on a day-by-day, as-needed basis is not possible. Once the commitment is made to cool, this system will remain in operation until the heating season begins again. Window air conditioners may be operated. During the interim period between the end of the cooling season and the beginning of the heating season, a similar condition exists. Please bear with us during the changeover periods. 

Inspection Programs
Facilities Management administers several programs that include periodic inspections of building and their components. Information gained through these inspections is used to plan work and compose a statistical picture of the condition of University facilities.

Authorized contractors under the supervision of Facilities Management are the only persons allowed to cut keys for University buildings. For security reasons, duplication of keys by an outside locksmith is strictly prohibited. Loss of keys must be reported to Facilities Management immediately. If re-keying is necessary, the department making the request will be charged for new keys and/or locks. The Key Request Form for lock changes or requests for additional keys should be submitted to the Facilities Management office. 


The appointee of Facilities Management is authorized to require payment of a reasonable cost to the University for each University not returned. The Department where the individual is/was employed is responsible for the cost, if the University is unable to secure payment from the individual. Appeal of these charges may be made to the Vice-President for Facilities Management.

Lost or Unreturned Standard Key:

The cost of actual repair and/or replacement for each key which must be replaced due to the need to restore security as determined by the appointee of Facilities Management in consultation with the Chief of Police. A standard key may unlock more than one door.

Lost or Unreturned Master, Sub-Master, or Direct Control Key:

Cost of actual repair/replace for each lock which must be replaced due to the need to restore security as determined by the appointee of Facilities Management in consultation with the Chief of Police and/or appropriate executive staff member.

All locks are to be on the building master system. If you have a lock that is not on the system due to unusual security requirements, it is the department's responsibility to make sure Security has copy of the key.

Landscape Services
Are provided by Facilities Management landscape division and include a full range of landscape maintenance and installation services, such as mowing, tree maintenance, turf maintenance, and soil conservation. Plantings and tree removal are determined by the University administration.

Leased-Facility Services

Leased-facilities services are available from Facilities Management for space leased by the University. The services provided Facilities Management are decided as part of the lease negotiations and are typically spelled out in the lease contract. Funding for normal operation and maintenance services is also arranged as part of the lease negotiation. Facilities Management can also perform minor and major work for the University occupants in leased facilities provided the lease holder and code officials approve the changes. It is helpful to remember that leased facilities are under the building-code jurisdiction of the city or parish in which they are located.

Lights and Re-Lamping
If a light is out, contact Facilities Management. Your request will be assigned to the shop and handled by the lamp-replacement team in the order in which it is received. 

Lighting Repairs
Lighting repairs and bulb replacement in academic and residential buildings are provided by Facilities Management 

Maintenance/Repair/Renovation Services
Facilities Management is responsible for a comprehensive, university-wide program to identify and carry out necessary maintenance and repair of University facilities. Facilities inspectors conduct periodic, detailed inspections to evaluate the maintenance condition of facilities and to identify any necessary corrective work. Required periodic test of elevators, fire-protection systems, broilers, and pressure vessels are performed in accordance with applicable codes and regulations.

While test and inspection programs identify the majority of the University’s maintenance and repair work, additional deficiencies should be reported immediately to Facilities Management at 816-4259.

Preventive Maintenance – Preventive maintenance is periodic, scheduled work to provide adjustments, cleaning, minor repairs, and routine inspections of equipment and facilities to ensure good serviceable condition and to reduce interruptions of service. Facilities Management provides this maintenance on a planned, scheduled basis. 

Routine Repairs – Routine repairs are defined as the everyday work that originates within Facilities Management service facilities. Dripping faucets, broken windows, and door and lock repair are all examples of routine repairs. 

Emergency Work Service – Emergency service is work performed to correct situations hazardous to life, health, and property or interruption of utilities. This also includes hazards that would cause disruption to scheduled activities. This work is normally completed the same day as it is requested. Emergency work requests are received from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. by telephone at 816-4259 or in person at Facilities Management on the second floor of the DUCAR building. After hours, please call 504-816-4134. 

Corrective Maintenance and Repair 
– Maintenance, repair, and building renewal projects for general-fund facilities are normally funded through the capital appropriation for maintenance reserve. These projects include roofing repairs or replacement, correction of structural defects, replacement or repair of installed utilities and distribution systems, and other high cost items that cannot be funded in the operating budget. 

Facilities Improvement
 – Request for renovations or alterations should be submitted six months prior to the fiscal year when they are going to be needed. Funding for alterations, such as additional outlets for computers, new locking systems, etc. will be the responsibility of the requesting department. 

Major Work – Major work describes large projects which typically require architectural and engineering services. Examples of major work include: construction of a new building, modernization of a HVAC system, or replacement of a room. 

Minor Work
 – Minor work is work which covers a wide variety of customer-funded projects. It is rare for minor work to require architectural or engineering services. Examples of minor work range from making a key to a complete office face-lift.

Requests for the acquisition of new furniture should be directed through the appropriate channels to the business office. 

Exterior and interior painting is scheduled on a cyclical basis and modified when necessary, based on actual need and funding availability. Every effort is made to program exterior painting frequently enough to avoid deterioration of facilities. Interior painting schedules are more frequently based on need.

Special interior color schemes are developed for major public spaces of the University. All other scheduled interior-painting surfaces are normally repainted in the same color. For major renovations, colors may be selected from a series of standard color schemes. 

Pest Control
Pest control service is provided by Facilities Management on a monthly basis. Any request outside of scheduled services must be requested by submitting a Work Order Request Form.

Preliminary Investigation Report (PIR)

It is a professional service provided by Facilities Management to make preliminary determinations of scope, cost, and feasibility of a capital project for budget purposes. This service may be requested via the standard Work Order Request Form.

Project Management

Project management includes the management and execution of programming, planning, design, and construction of all University Facilities.

Property Leases
Facilities Management is responsible for assisting University Vice Presidents find adequate lease space, in effect acting as the University’s real estate broker. Facilities Management prepares and reviews leases and license agreements, maintains lease records, and coordinates lease payments. 

Public Areas

Facilities Management is responsible for maintenance service in public areas which include all sidewalks, entry lobbies, public corridors, stairwells, student lounges, classrooms, seminar rooms, and lavatories. 

Facilities Management is also responsible for utility services to these areas, including electricity and lighting, heating, ventilation, and plumbing, and for decorative service, such as painting, wall covering, window treatments, and floor covering. To report a problem or for further information concerning painting, wall covering, window treatments, etc., please call Facilities Management. 


Recycling is the act of diverting materials which can be made into a product of the same (e.g., aluminum, paper) or lesser value (e.g., plastic, cardboard) from the waste stream and sending them to a facility where they can be reprocessed. Dillard University is currently in the beginning stages of the recycling program.

Renovations and Improvements

Facilities Management is prepared to plan and carry out renovations, alterations, and improvements of the University’s academic, research, and support facilities, as needed, to accommodate new or changed programs. Such work is normally funded by the requesting organization. In order to provide responsive and economical support to renovation requirements of limited scope, Facilities Management maintains a renovation work force covering all basic construction skills. Work may be assigned to this force or completed by contract. Work may be subject to a “make/buy” cost comparison, a competitive bidding process, unless the customer specifies a preference for the in-house work force. For the requestor’s planning and budget purposes, Facilities Management will develop an estimated budget upon request. If the work is of significant magnitude, the Facilities Management Department will develop a preliminary report (PR). The PR provides a preliminary scope of work and estimated costs.
Facilities Management rents trucks with drivers to assist with special department requirements (e.g., moving), public address systems, and other equipment for the convenience of the University community. Tables and chairs are available for loan at no charge, unless delivery and setup are required.

Resource Center
The Resource Center is located in the DUCAR building on the second floor and houses the architectural and engineering drawings of the University. It also has other construction documents and provides a number of ancillary services. 

Service Request Procedure

Service needs should be submitted in writing via a Work Order Request Form. When making a request, allow sufficient lead time for planning, estimating, and material purchases. You should expect work of this nature to be accomplished within a 30-day period.
Request forms may be obtained through Facilities Management and must be signed by an individual authorized to commit departmental funds. An appropriate or valid account number must also be provided. In special cases, such as an immediate need or an emergency, requests can be processed more quickly, if a department or division has set up a monthly chargeable account with Facilities Management.

The following procedure describes how service requests are handled: 
1. The customer completes a Work Order Request Form and forwards it to the Facilities Management office.
2. Work that requires the coordination of several shops is considered a "project" and is coordinated through Facilities Operations. 
a. Facilities Management contacts the customer to discuss the work.
b. According to the customer's needs, Facilities Operations either prepares a preliminary estimate based on discussions with the customer or the work site may be visited by an estimator who will prepare a detailed estimate, which may include drawings, materials lists, and detailed instructions to the shop. 
c. The plant supervisor determines whether the project can be done by the employees or if it should be handled by the construction division. In either case, Facilities Management provides the customer with the necessary instructions on the project approval process.
d. Upon receipt of all necessary approvals, material is ordered and work is scheduled.
3. Either in-house labor or outside contractors are engaged to do the work.
4. At the end of the project, a letter is sent to the customer stating that the work has been completed.
5. The customer is billed for costs through the Business and Finance Office.

In addition to the basic services provided without charge, which are done through the work order system, Facilities Management also offers a variety of services on a chargeable basis. Facilities Management does not receive a budget for the services listed below. 
The charges for this work will, most often, reflect an overtime premium. This is due to the fact that Facilities Management is staffed to provide maintenance and operations functions during the normal work day. Additional requests, therefore, are either done on overtime or, if they must be done during the work day, require normal functions to be performed on overtime. These services are requested by submitting a Work Order Request Form approved by an authorized department liaison and forwarded to Facilities Management. Charges for such services include the cost of labor, fringe benefits, materials, and overhead. Work Order Request Forms may be obtained through Facilities Management. Requests are routed to the division of Facilities Management responsible for that service, where it is estimated and scheduled. The following are examples of chargeable service that will be provided upon request.

• Carpentry: Alterations, repairs, or refinishing of office, library, laboratory, lounge, or kitchen furniture and equipment. Requests for the fabrication, installation, and repair of shelves and wooden cabinets, making signs (general information or directional signs are non-chargeable), as well as installation and repair of all venetian blinds, can also be accommodated. 
• Custodial: Special-event needs which cannot be accommodated by routine cleaning or which require manpower beyond normal working hours; cleaning of draperies, upholstery, venetian blinds, department-owned furniture, flags and banners; and shampooing of carpets out of the routine cycle or in nonpublic spaces. 
• Electrical: Upgrades or alterations to electrical systems and additions, such as connections to new equipment and instruments purchased by a department. 
• Grounds: Any special outdoor event where food and/or drink are served. This includes setup of tables, chairs, etc. 
• Heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC): Heating or air-conditioning beyond normal University operating hours, repairs to window air-conditioning units and other stand-alone air conditioners not connected to the central plant. 
• Locks: Making of additional keys, new lock installations, and re-keying or adding to the present locking hardware on doors or desks because of lost keys or illegal entry (non-chargeable where vandalism may have occurred). 
• Moving: General moving service (not to include sensitive equipment, such as computers or laboratory equipment), refuse removal, and furniture setup for special events. 
• Painting: The painting of any nonpublic area including offices, labs, and departmental spaces. 
• Plumbing: Installation of toilets, sinks, drains, and special plumbing connections to equipment or instruments and maintenance of specialized laboratory equipment. 

Signs for all exterior areas of the University are provided by Facilities Management and must be requested by submitting a Signage Request Form. 

Space and Real Estate Management

Facilities Management is responsible for the management of the University’s space inventory, both on and off grounds, to support achievement of the institution’s strategic goals and objectives. 

Special Event Setup and Support

Moving power, sound system, grounds, stage, ramps, steps, permits, setup, tables, chairs and other logistical support necessary for special events may be requested through Facilities Management on a chargeable basis by submitting the Work Order Request Form.

Storage of Equipment, Materials, and Supplies

No equipment or materials of any sort may be stored in basements, stairways, tunnels, or public corridors or placed so as to block fire exits. These conditions constitute Fire Department violations. Violations received for such conditions will be directed to the Department or, if discoverable, the individual, responsible for the material causing the violations. Departmental equipment or supplies may not be stored in mechanical equipment rooms, electrical closets, or janitorial closets. If improperly stored in those areas, the equipment or supplies will be disposed of and the responsible department will be charged. 

Structural Inspection Program
Facilities Management administers several programs that include periodic inspections of buildings and their components. This information is used to plan work and compose a statistical picture of the condition of University facilities.

System Control Center

Facilities Management provides central monitoring and control of fire, security, and HVAC systems in many University buildings.

Temporary Buildings
Trailers or other temporary frame structures on the University grounds require a building permit, as well as state mandated reviews and approvals, to obtain a Certificate of Use and Occupancy.

Transportation Services

Transportation services offer over-the-road passenger service. Our shuttle busses transport 25 passengers and our drivers are courteous and friendly. Shuttles are available year round for events considered “Official University Business.” Please complete the Transportation Request Form for service. Supporting documentation verifying “Official University Business” must be submitted with the request. Request forms should be submitted five (5) business days prior to date services are needed. Transportation mileage rates cover all normal operating, repair, and maintenance expenses and fuel used for temporary use and vehicle assignments. Rates may be adjusted from time to time depending upon the operational cost per mile and/or vehicle acquisition cost. Currently, the transportation service rate is $25.00 per day plus $0.48 per mile.

Trash is that portion of the waste stream which cannot be reused or recycled.

Utilities Systems
The Utilities Department services, maintains, and operates electric substations, heating plants, chilled water plants, the water storage and pumping facility, and the associated distribution systems required to transport these services to University buildings. These systems provide utility services to most University buildings. The remaining buildings receive service directly from the local utility companies or from stand-alone building boilers and cooling equipment. In order to maintain the integrity of utility systems and minimize safety hazards, alterations or connections to any University utility—both external distribution systems and internal building systems—may only be made by Facilities Management employees or by contractors working under Facilities Management direction.

Utility Outages
Construction or renovation often involves the need to shut down a utility or building system to enable system replacement or extension. Procedures are in place for planning service outages, responding to unscheduled system interruptions or failures, and contacting key individuals in buildings or departments concerning the outage.

Vehicle Usage Services
University departments may reserve cars for use for “Official University Business.” To reserve a vehicle, please complete the Vehicle Request Form. Supporting documentation verifying “Official University Business” must be submitted with the request. Request forms should be submitted five (5) business days prior to date vehicles are needed. When picking up your reserved vehicle, come to the Facilities Management office during business hours from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. You must present a valid driver’s license to receive key for vehicle. (Only one vehicle may be checked out per driver’s license). Vehicles are reserved on first-come-first-served basis. Vehicle use mileage rates cover all normal operating, repair and maintenance expenses, and fuel used for temporary use and vehicle assignments. Rates may be adjusted from time to time depending upon the operational cost per mile and/or vehicle acquisition cost. Currently the vehicle rental rate is $20.00 per day plus $0.42 per mile. 

Work Orders
The Facilities Management service desk receives and processes campus requests for routine, non-routine, and emergency maintenance services. These services may include requests for building maintenance, carpentry, electrical work, painting, or plumbing work. Services are provided for all University-owned campus buildings and grounds. Facilities work requests are recorded and processed by an automated maintenance management system through Facilities Management. You may access Facilities’ service desk directly to submit your work request at: 816-4259, e-mail your request to or you may complete the Work Order Request Form and fax it to 816-4833. Service desk hours are 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (extension 4259). For after-hour emergencies, please contact 504-816-4134.

Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Facilities Services trade to perform the work or to Project Coordination for planning and estimating. When non-routine services are requested by a campus department, this work will typically be performed on a chargeback basis and an account number will be necessary prior to the service being performed. Some of our chargeback services may include: installation of bulletin boards, modular furniture electrical hook-up, non-scheduled painting, remodeling and renovations and may also require coordination with other departments, such as Capital Planning and Development. Work orders will be processed based on priority of work:


Emergency Work Service – Emergency service is work performed to correct situations hazardous to life, health, property or interruption of utilities. This includes hazards that would cause sufficient disruption to scheduled activities. This work is normally completed the same day as it is requested. Emergency work requests are received from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. by telephone at 816-4259 or in person at Facilities Management on the second floor of the DUCAR building. After hours, please call 504-816-4134. 

– Urgent situations pose a threat of personal injury, equipment damage, or a serious disruption of University operations. Whenever possible, urgent work orders should be completed within 24 to 48 hours to mitigate the situation before injury occurs, equipment or property is damaged, or the condition worsens. 

Routine Repairs – Routine repairs are defined as the every-day work that originates within Facilities Management services facilities. Dripping faucets, broken windows, and door and lock repair are all examples of routine repairs. Please allow 3-5 business days for completion of these types of repairs.

– Work that has been intentionally or unintentionally delayed due to lack of funding, impending asset retirement, awaiting conflict resolution, long-term access issues, or other administrative issues or constraints. Time-line is undetermined.




2601 Gentilly Boulevard
New Orleans, Louisiana 70122

Dillard University Seal